Preparing Temporary Restraining Orders

If you are the victim of domestic violence, you have to guard against future harm. Temporary restraining orders can give you much needed protection immediately.  A judge has the power to extend that order for up to a year at a time.

If you are in need of an experienced Connecticut attorney to file a restraining order, I can get it done for you.   I also appear in court with you so that you have representation by your side. I practice in the Family Courts of Fairfield County and New Haven County.

There is limited time to prepare for your hearing.

 I know how to put together the necessary documents in a persuasive way – highlighting your need for protection.  I will prepare your testimony in a convincing way so the judge understand sthe seriousness of your situation. Your safety is my concern.  Contact me immediately for a consultation.

Challenging Restraining Orders

I am well versed on both sides of these cases.

Since I know to put these applications together, I also know how to challenge them effectively exposing errors and inconsistencies.  I will fight for you at your hearing to terminate the restraining order or lighten the restrictions so that you can still have visitation or at least supervised visitation with your children. I can also represent you in court if your estranged spouse or partner seeks to renew the order after one year.

A judge can issue a temporary order for relief from physical abuse pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes Section 46b-15 solely upon the word of the alleged victim, a witness or a police officer. This is an ex parte hearing (behind closed doors), meaning that you have no say. You are kicked out of your home and warned not to have any contact with the alleged victim.

Within two weeks, you will face a hearing in which the judge will (a) dissolve the temporary restraining order or (b) extend it for up to one year. That means no contact with the alleged victim and little or no contact with your kids. A standing order can also be used against you in custody proceedings.  I can help contest the continuation of a restraining order.

This is your one and only chance to present your side of the story.

Restraining Order Violations

Are you accused of stalking your ex-partner or violating the no-contact order? Violating a restraining order is a felony offense, punishable by up to a year in jail and all the collateral consequences of a felony criminal record. I will aggressively counter the charges to show that the accusation is false, that you were tricked into contacting the person or that you do not pose any harm or bad intentions.

Contact me online  or call me in my Stamford office at (203) 356-1475 or in my Fairfield office at (203) 259-5251 to arrange an initial consultation concerning restraining orders.