The easiest way to deal with child support is to for the non-custodial parent pay the other parent directly – usually weekly or monthly.  Straightforward.

However, when child support obligations are not met there are ways to collect and enforce the court order:

  • Garnish wages and other benefits the non-paying may receive such as Social Security, unemployment or worker’s compensation
  • Intercepting federal and state tax returns
  • Filing a Motion for Contempt in court to hold the delinquent parent accountable
  • Putting liens on personal injury settlements or lottery winnings
  • Attaching property such as cars or real estate

Those who fail to pay child support face several repercussions including:

  • Revocation of driver’s license or occupational licenses
  • Jail – if found in contempt for violating a child support order
  • Reporting the delinquency to credit bureaus.

If a parent is legitimately unable to pay the current amount of child support, they should file a Motion for Modification. Ignoring the order will cause an arrearage to accrue and test the judge’s patience.

I represent clients in divorce and Family Court related matters through out Fairfield and New Haven Counties including those who reside in Easton, Fairfield, Monroe, Trumbull, Stratford, Bridgeport, Westport, Weston, New Canaan, Wilton, Norwalk, Darien, Stamford, Greenwich, Shelton, Orange and Milford.

Please email me or call me in Stamford at (203) 356-1475 or in Fairfield at (203) 259-5251 to schedule a consultation regarding Connecticut Child Support.

© 2018 by Brian D. Kaschel Law Office. All rights
reserved. Disclaimer l Site Map l Privacy Policy l
Website by Six7 Marketing