Jump to Navigation

Fairfield Foster Care Injury Lawyer

Lawsuits Against Connecticut DCF for Injury or Abuse

The whole purpose of foster care is to provide children with a safe haven. If a child is injured through negligence or abuse in a foster home, the Connecticut Department of Children and Families (DCF) may be found liable.

The Brian D. Kaschel Law Office has sued on behalf of children who suffered serious injury or emotional trauma after being placed by DCF with a foster family. I can determine if the DCF deviated from its own protocols in licensing the foster parents or monitoring the well-being of the child.

Free case evaluation. Contact me to explore a possible lawsuit on behalf of a foster child. I practice in Fairfield County and New Haven County, Connecticut.

Fairfield Foster Care Injury Lawyer

The Department of Children and Families has a duty to screen foster parents carefully before granting a license to take in foster children. The agency should conduct site visits to ensure that the foster home is “child-proofed” for young children and otherwise safe and stable. Lastly, the DCF has a duty to intervene if there are reports or indications that a foster kid’s welfare is at risk.

I can review your potential suit for serious injury, physical abuse, sexual abuse or severe neglect of a child in foster care. Monetary damages, such as compensation for medical care, psychological counseling, and pain and suffering, are awarded in the name of the child.

As a state agency, the DCF has limited immunity from lawsuits. We must get permission to sue by bringing the claim through the State Claims Commission. You must have legal standing as the natural parent or court-appointed guardian for the child. I can help a grandparent, adult sibling or other advocate obtain legal guardianship.

Connecticut Department of Children and Families Attorney

There is a one-year statute of limitations on filing suit against DCF. Call me at 203-259-5251 or e-mail me to arrange a free consultation. There are no attorney fees unless I take your case and win damages in a settlement or trial.


Our Practice
How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
I have read the disclaimer.

Free Initial Consultation | Get in touch with me and let me know what's going on and I'll let you know how I can help. Email me