Connecticut Accident Injury Lawyer
So you were injured in a car accident. It's not something that happens every day. You may have even thought the insurance company would take care of everything. After all, that's why you pay auto insurance premiums, right? But now you are faced with questions and concerns about what to do next and how to get the money you are entitled to for your injuries, expenses, pain and inconvenience.
Talk to me. I am Connecticut personal injury attorney Brian D. Kaschel. I have helped many people like you, who were injured in car accidents caused by someone else's negligence. People are understandably concerned after an accident. Doing the following may help some of those concerns after an accident.
- First, call the police. Never try to handle an accident with the other driver. Police will file a report and the final report is often the most important factor in the insurance matter. In addition, the police will get an ambulance on the scene, if necessary.
- Second, don't say anything to the other driver about the accident or the nature and extent of your injuries. If your immediate reflex is to say that you are sorry it occurred, it will be taken as an admission of guilt. Talk only to the police, out of earshot of the other driver.
- Third, look for eyewitnesses. Talk to passengers in both vehicles and anybody else who may have seen what happened. Car accident claims often come down to testimony between drivers. If you can get more eyewitness accounts on your side, the better chance you have of proving your case.
- Fourth, take a moment to jot down everything you can remember about the accident. Weather conditions. Road conditions. Traffic conditions. Then, take some pictures of the accident and the intersection or road as soon as possible after the accident.
- Fifth, make sure you get the other party's contact and insurance information. If the other driver doesn't volunteer it, ask the police officer for it.
- Finally, call an experienced personal injury trial lawyer. Even the most cut-and-dried car accidents often involve legal issues that you will be unprepared for.
Free Consultation | No Attorneys Fees Unless You Win | I Handle Everything
Yes, the attorney you hire after a car accident does make a difference in the amount of money you receive in your settlement or jury award. Contact my office to arrange a consultation to discuss your options for seeking full and fair compensation for your injuries and financial damages. From my office in Fairfield, I represent clients throughout the Bridgeport metro region and eastern Connecticut.